Ultimate Drill Book is hiring a Creative Media DesignerBy Luke Gall and Josh Gall | March 23, 2022
Here at Ultimate Drill Book, we are quickly growing a team of educators, product managers, operations specialists, marching arts enthusiasts, and media designers. Really, though, the media designers are just us – Luke and Josh – brothers and co-founders of UDB.
Since 2010, we have created almost every single piece of media that Ultimate Drill Book has ever released: videos, graphics, social content, websites, app designs, curriculum, and everything in-between. We live and breathe design and marketing, so it’s been difficult for us to let it go over the years. At the pace we’re growing, however, we need someone to lead the media creation of UDB full time.
Luke (left) and Josh (right) at the TBA conference in San Antonio, Texas.
Creative Media Designer
The Creative Media Designer at Ultimate Drill Book will oversee and lead content creation for all UDB marketing and media initiatives. You’ll be a Swiss-army-knife of media –– producing videos, creating graphics, overseeing the website, and contributing to all creative aspects of Ultimate Drill Book.
As the first full-time media hire of Ultimate Drill Book, you’ll be a department of one. You will work directly with us to learn about UDB, our mission, and eventually take over the day-to-day media operations. You will also work with the full team at UDB to execute company-wide initiatives and be given time and resources to put your creative stamp on UDB. Over time, we plan to build out a multi-person media team with your help.
You’ll do it all
As two people who have done this job for Ultimate Drill Book, we can say that it’s a lot of fun because every day is different. Some weeks you’ll help film and edit the UDB Virtual Curriculum. Some days you’ll create and post content on social media. The next day you may be building out new pages for our website. You’ll also be an important part of our in-person initiatives by traveling the world to capture educational clinics, film rehearsals with bands and drums corps, to create vlogs for the UDB Tour Fee Giveaway, and to cover events like the DCI World Championships.
Long story short, if you love attacking tons of creative challenges in different mediums, you’ll find this role incredibly interesting. We operate in a hybrid work environment, but due to the frequent in-person filming in our new office and media studio, the person in this role must live in or near Austin, Texas.
Filming a UDB feature with the Burning Bravers Marching Band in Osaka, Japan.
How do I apply?
Ultimate Drill Book is a fast-growing company that is changing music education around the world. If you’re still reading this and are excited about stretching your creative abilities in every imaginable way, we’d love to talk to you.
To learn more about the requirements, check out the official job posting. If you’re excited to move forward, write to firstname.lastname@example.org and include:
- Your resume
- Links to your video and graphic work
- A brief video intro
We look forward to hearing from you!
Luke Gall and Josh Gall
Co-founders, Ultimate Drill Book
The Creative Media Designer will develop and execute a strategic creative vision for the UDB brand with a focus on creating digital content for external audiences, current UDB users, and prospective users.
Full-time | Austin, TX
- Excellent health, dental, and vision insurance options
- Comprehensive time off and general leave policies
- Extensive travel opportunities
First interviews scheduled as applications are submitted. Proposed start date of June 1, 2022 or earlier.
How you’ll make an impact
- Conceptualize, script, shoot, and edit compelling stories, promotions, educational content, and other video assets with excellence, timeliness, and creativity.
- Collaborate with internal and external clients to create meaningful content that serves the marching education community.
- Organize and oversee the operations of live-streamed events.
- Work with UDB’s existing video content database to organize and redistribute on various platforms.
- Conceptualize, create drafts, and produce final deliverables of graphics used on the web, social media, and print.
- Develop and maintain branding guides.
- Work with internal and external clients on projects, promotions, and other initiatives.
- Maintain and oversee the design and implementation of Ultimate Drill Book’s internal and external websites and web pages.
- Develop and manage Ultimate Drill Book’s social media strategy and presence.
- Post content regularly on all social media platforms.
- Engage with community.
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate is:
- Passionate about using their talents to create and design videos, graphics, and assets that highlight and contribute to the marching arts.
- A creative thinker who can solve problems quickly and effectively.
- Highly attentive to detail.
- Highly collaborative
- Able to handle multiple projects.
- Able to work productively from home and in an office environment.
- Willing to travel frequently.
- Willing to sometimes work early mornings or nights, weekends, and holidays to capture content for media initiatives.
- Flexible when asked to switch project priorities.
- Respectful with maintaining confidentiality of material and information.
- Constantly curious about improving past and current materials.
- Able to manage the media creation and delivery process by:
1. Meeting with a team to gather inspiration and needed material
2. Creating concepts and designs that are in line with our goal
3. Obtaining the right approvals for concept, design, and execution phase
4. Preparing final deliverables
5. Coordinating release of final deliverables
Other Desired Qualifications
- Experience participating in the marching arts
- Associates/Bachelors degree in Videography, Graphic Design, Marketing, or comparable fields
Required Software Experience:
- Advanced proficiency using Final Cut Pro X video editing software. Experience with Adobe Premiere knowledge is desirable, but the person in this role will be required to work with UDB’s video content created using Final Cut Pro X.
- Advanced proficiency with graphic design tools such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and other similar tools.
- Proficiency using and posting on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and other media platforms.
- Proficiency using WordPress or other web design platforms.
- Experience with cloud platforms like Google Drive, Dropbox, and Box.
Other Desired Software Experience:
- Figma design platform
- Postlab video collaboration software
- Frame.io video collaborative platform
- Logic Pro X audio software
- Apple Motion graphics software
- Hootsuite or other social media management tools